Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brake pads help

4 posters

Go down

brake pads help  Empty brake pads help

Post by big-al Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:41 pm

after owning the atr for just over a year i need to change the brake pads the ones that are on are shit. brake fade is really bad so i need to get good pads ..
i use this every day as my daily so i need to find what pads are going to be good ..also the car is fitted with brembo discs on the front and std on the back
most times when i see m3 bmw i can get the front discs glowing and melt the centre caps on the wheels and also with the rear brake bias adjuster on the rear axle do i have to do anything with this as its now been lowered 90mm as i find the front is braking a lot harder that the back ...
any help is welcome
al

big-al

Back to top Go down

brake pads help  Empty Re: brake pads help

Post by Cozzi Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Would some DC5 Brembo's fit on it Al, or some bigger discs and calipers off anything?
More surface area = better heat distribution

Cozzi

Back to top Go down

Post by big-al Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 pm

i think its a problem with this adjuster on the rear axel i need to find out if i have to do anything with it now its on its ass but the front pads are dead anyway so i need to change them so if i get better pads all round and its still the same then ill go bigger calipers its a bitch trying to stop it from high speeds

big-al

Back to top Go down

Post by Spence Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm

To be fair mate as long as the car will roll freely without brakes and no pistons are sticking or anything like that you won't need to upgrade brakes as the standard atr system is very good.

You've probably got some motor factor pads in there an by memory your wheels are hardly kind with the air it will give to the brakes so if I were you look into performance pads fast road just be careful as some are absolutely terrible.

Brake bias maybe.. But if your still running standard brakes master cylinder etc then I wouldnt be so quick to change anything. You want more bias to the front anyways that's why cars come with bigger front brakes then rear. Same as track cars that run drums with 4 pot an 6 pot front calipers, they have 80-90 percent front bias. When it starts fading a few clicks up on the handbrake and away try go lol.

Change to a half decent fast road pad an then see how you get on. You may be due for a caliper rebuild.. You may not have sufficient air to the brakes.. Either that or stop driving like an absolute hero on the roads!
Spence
Spence

Back to top Go down

Post by big-al Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 pm

i have compromotive alloys and the brakeing system was rebuilt by vtec direct in stafford about 12 months ago it also had all new fluids but i am hard on the brakes ..so what pads would you go for ..

big-al

Back to top Go down

Post by Spence Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:41 am

Well that's good. Rules out calipers and sticky pistons. If I'm completely honest i only ever use motorfactor pads but I'm very easy on my brakes even at track days.

Get on google fella have a look at reviews that's what I'd do. "fast road brake pad reviews" something like that.

Tell a lie I used ebc yellow stuff pads on my ef9 and red stuff on my old eg6 sir (both were bought running theese pads). Both were very good. From what I remember yellow stuff squeeled like a London black cab from cold but stopping when warm were excellent.

Though I think both of the above pads have bad reviews on the net.
Spence
Spence

Back to top Go down

Post by big-al Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 pm

thanks spence ill have a look

big-al

Back to top Go down

Post by Spence Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Anytime, let us know how you get on fella.
Spence
Spence

Back to top Go down

Post by steve-o Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:07 am

like we talked about the other week put some braided brake lines all round n some upgraded brake fluid with a higher boiling temp then if its still aint braking great look in to pads
steve-o
steve-o

Back to top Go down

Post by big-al Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:10 pm

right i have gone for brembo pads they should be ere this Friday so ill let u know if they are any good i also called the guy that has done all the work to the car in the past i also told him that i had done a few upgrade's he said he had already updated the front brakes by fitting brembo discs and ebc pads to the front and rear and all the fluids but he also said he cant see the point off doing anything with the front flex hose as the type r already as very good hose's fitted i would be wasting my money as it's a daily driver if i was using it for track days i may see a bit of a difference ...due to braking a lot harder ..
i think the guy that did all the work is vtec direct in staffs he races a ctr .
ps he also said the guy that owned this car before me liked wasting is money by doing things that the car did not need ...he was a typical honda guy ...the last guy who owned it spent over £800 2 weeks before i had the car on things that did not need doing ...

big-al

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down